Updated as of July 2019
Summary: This blog details a budget travel guide for Baler which includes an itinerary good for 3 to 5 days, top tourist attractions, options on how to get there and a list of accommodations to stay. Further, this Baler blog is intended for budget travelers either solo, family or group travelers.
BALER AT A GLANCE
At the eastern part of central Luzon, 5 hours away from Manila on a land trip, lies the birthplace of surfing in the Philippines – BALER. This small town, which has been the capital of Aurora province, is conceivably the cradle of the first surfing community that started in 1970s when it was made as a film location of the American epic war movie Apocalypse Now. Rumor has it that the film crews left behind their surfboards for the locals to try on. Thereafter, the surfing culture spread out and flourished to what it is today.
Surfing is what makes Baler tick. But that’s only looking at it on the surface. Baler gets more interesting as you dig deep into its past and explore further into its underrated attractions. Its story of how 6 families out from a thousand survived from a humongous tidal wave that hit its coast back in 1735, of how the Filipino revolutionaries emerged victorious against the Spanish colonizers during the siege of Baler in 1899 – are two highlights of its rich history that are definitely worth uncovering. Not to mention, Baler is endowed with an array of natural wonders riveting with composites of beautiful rock formations and sweeping landscapes. Truly, it is a destination worth going for.
QUICK FACTS AND TIPS ABOUT BALER
- Here are few facts and tips to consider when traveling in Baler, Aurora.
- The surfing season in Baler happens in September through March during the northeast monsoon.
- During the summer months of March through May, the surfing areas and top attractions in Baler can get too crowded and may not be suitable for relaxation. Waves are also small, but still suitable for surfing.
- The roads to Baler are well-paved. Going there during the rainy season of June to September may not be a hassle.
- There are only 2 ATMs in Baler located at the town proper. Have enough cash.
- Establishments accept credit and debit card but not a traveler’s check.
- All mobile network operators have a good signal strength in the area.
HOW TO GET TO BALER
There are no flights going directly to Baler, Aurora. For now, the only means is to go on a land trip.
The total travel time from Manila to Baler is roughly 5 hours, depending on the traffic. To get there, head out to Cubao Bus terminal and choose any of the two (2) Genesis Transport service buses below which go directly to Baler.
- Joy Bus, an executive bus type which offers free wi-fi, snacks, blanket and pillow if you feel like sleeping on the trip. Bus schedule are as follows: 12:30AM, 1:00AM, 1:30AM, 2:30AM and 5:30AM. Bus fare is P650 or P730 depending on the schedule.
- Regular aircon bus for a fare of P450. The bus departs hourly from 2:00AM to 8:00AM.
Alternatively, if your travel schedule doesn’t match with the bus’, take the Manila-Cabanatuan-Baler route. Go to the bus terminals in Manila at Cubao, Caloocan and Pasay. Take any bus that goes to Cabanatuan city. Daily trip is in an hourly basis. Bus fare is P200, travel time is 3 hours. At Cabanatuan Central terminal, take another bus or van to Baler. Fare is around P230, travel time is another 3 hours.
Find tickets from your location to Baler using the search box
TOP ATTRACTIONS IN BALER
Here are 11 top tourist spots that you can cover in a day tour or with an itinerary for 2 to 3 days while in Baler, Aurora.
MUSEO DE BALER
DOÑA AURORA HOUSE
BALER HANGING BRIDGE
DIGUISIT BEACH & ROCK FORMATIONS
BALER LIGHTHOUSE & ANIAO ISLETS
600-YEAR OLD BALETE TREE
DITUMABO MOTHER FALLS
TOP THINGS TO DO IN BALER
Here are top things to do and activities that are worth a try in Baler, Aurora.
- Surf! Baler is the best place to learn this water activity. It’s definitely worth an experience.
- Go around and check out the beautiful rock formations in most of its beaches and islets.
- Learn the roots of Baler and the different highlights of its history that transformed the beautiful coastal town.
- Feel the vibe and hang around with locals. Baler is a happy community.
BALER SAMPLE ITINERARY
The best way to get around Baler is to charter a tricycle or a van for a day tour. The attractions are far from each other and going by yourself would be time-consuming, unless you have at least 5 days to spend. Here is a sample itinerary good for 3 days which assumes a party of two and will set back a budget of P4,335.00+ per person, excluding expenses for accommodation, souvenir and other incidentals.
Things to consider for this Baler itinerary:
- Surfboard rental costs around P200 per hour, P350 if with instructor.
- Most tricycle drivers double as tour guide. Tricycle tour would cover all of the attractions cited in the Top Attractions list for P500 for half-day and P800 for whole day. A day tour on a van costs P2,500 good for 10 persons.
- Genesis bus bound for Manila leaves at 2:00PM. Finish up your itinerary before the time to avoid hassle.
DAY ONE: Tricycle tour is only half day for P500.
|Depart to Baler||1:00AM||P750|
|Arrive in Baler||6:00AM||–|
|Early Check in||8:00AM||–|
|Museo de Baler||3:00PM||P35|
|Doña Aurora House||4:00PM||P30|
|Socials at Sabang beach||5:00PM||–|
Look for discounted deals from Klook from the major destinations in Asia, including the Philippines.
DAY TWO: Tricycle tour is only half day for P500.
|Sunrise at Daguisit Beach||6:00AM||–|
|Socials at El Jardin Bar||8:00PM||–|
|Depart to Manila||2:00PM||P750|
If your choice of transport to get around Baler is bicycle or motorbike, head out to Pajaroja lodge. Rent for bicycle is P300 per day, for motorbike is P500 to P800 per day.
WHERE TO STAY IN BALER
Here are budget to posh accommodations in Baler:
Near Sabang beach
- Brown Epitome Lodge – ideal for backpackers Check rate and availability here
- Miguel Homestay – ideal for group travelers Check rate and availability here
- Surf and Chill Inn Check rate and availability here
- Go Surfari House Check rate and availability here
- North Shore Surf Camp Check rate and availability here
- Costa Pacifica Check rate and availability here
- Nalu Surf Camp Check rate and availability here
Near Daguisit beach
- Aura Marina Sands Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
- Dela Torre Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
- Seasta Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
English is widely understood in Baler. But in case you want to speak the local tongue, here are phrases from 2 different main languages in Baler that proved to be useful.
English to Ilocano
Thank You – Agyamanak
Good Morning – Naimbag a bigat
Good Afternoon – Naimbag a malem
Good Evening – Naimbag a rabii
How Much? – Sagmamano daytoy?
Where is… – Sadino ti…
English to Tagalog
Thank You – Salamat
Good Morning – Magandang umaga
Good Afternoon – Magandang hapon
Good Evening – Magandang gabi
How Much? – Magkano?
Where is… – Saan ang…
EXTEND YOUR TRIP
- Baguio Budget Travel Guide
- Balabac Budget Travel Guide
- Batanes Budget Travel Guide
- Cordillera Budget Travel Guide
- El Nido Budget Travel Guide
- Laoag Budget Travel Guide
- Manila Budget Travel Guide
- Pagudpud Budget Travel Guide
- Palaui Island Budget Travel Guide
- Pangasinan Budget Travel Guide
- Puerto Princesa Budget Travel Guide
- San Vicente Budget Travel Guide
- Sagada Budget Travel Guide
- Vigan Budget Travel Guide
- Zambales Budget Travel Guide
- Apo Island Budget Travel Guide
- Bacolod Budget Travel Guide
- Boracay Budget Travel Guide
- Cebu Budget Travel Guide
- Dumaguete Budget Travel Guide
- Gigantes Islands Budget Travel Guide
- Iloilo Budget Travel Guide
- Negros Budget Travel Guide
- Sipalay Budget Travel Guide
- Siquijor Budget Travel Guide
- Bangkok, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Mai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Rai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Budget Travel Guide
- Johor Bahru, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Penang, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
- Siem Reap, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
- Singapore Budget Travel Guide
- Sukhothai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
Get assisted with your Visa application online for any of these countries using the “search box” below:
BE A RESPONSIBLE TRAVELER
And lastly, don’t forget to be awesome! 😉
DON’T STOP HERE
Read more posts by clicking any category below:
Did you find this article helpful? Show some love. Leave a comment or share to friends.
Get exclusive travel tips, giveaways and more for FREE via email!
Or FOLLOW my adventures in any of my social media platforms: