Updated as of September 2019
Summary: This blog shares the top attractions near Mactan Island, Cebu that you can cover on a layover trip. Each top attraction contains details about operating hours, entrance fee, location and information on how to get there.
MACTAN ISLAND AT A GLANCE
Apart from being popular for its luxury hotels and resorts, island getaways and water sport activities – Mactan Island also makes for a good layover excursion for travelers who have less-to-one day opportunity.
Below is a DIY guide with a sample budget for an organized layover activity around Mactan, Cebu. The order of activities starts with the nearest place from Mactan airport.
Note: Because this is a stopover guide, the itinerary is created on a DIY rather than on an arranged tour package.
1st stop: CEBU YACHT CLUB
- Description: The premier yacht club of Cebu is home to a few restaurants like Bucket Shrimps, Giardino de Mare, Vue Dine and Drink and Clove on the Quay. It also offers a cruise experience, and is one of the places perfect for sunset viewing making it a good hideout for romance aficionados.
- Operating Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Entrance Fee: none
- Location: F. Martir St, Lapu-Lapu City
- To get there: From the airport, grab a taxi and drop off at Marina mall (or go directly to Cebu Yacht club. It’s only 6 minutes away from Marina mall.) Fare is P60. If you opt walking, from Marina mall, walk across the main road and proceed to the corner beside Island mall. It will take 6 minutes by walking to get to the yacht.
- Rating: 2.5/5
2nd stop: LAPU-LAPU (or MACTAN) SHRINE
- Description: The shrine is dedicated to honor the Battle of Mactan where Lapu-Lapu, the first Filipino hero, defeated and presumably killed the Spanish invader Ferdinand Magellan in April 27, 1521. The very place is where the battle happened. At the shrine, a statue of Lapu-Lapu is installed to celebrate his bravery and honor, and on the opposite side is an octagonal-based obelisk dedicated to Ferdinand Magellan.
- Entrance Fee: none
- Location: Punta Engaño, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
- To get there: From Cebu Yacht club, walk back to the main road and hail a multi-cab at Marina Mall that has a Punta Engaño sign. Tell the driver to drop off at the shrine. Fare is P10 and travel time is 20 minutes.
- Rating: 2/5
3rd stop: ALEGRE GUITAR FACTORY
- Description: Locally, Cebu is known for handmade guitars and topping in the list of famous guitar makers is Alegre Guitar Factory. Owned and operated by a professional musician, the guitars at the factory go in different size, color and type to meet the varying tastes of its buying enthusiasts. Visitors are welcomed to observe the production process in an open space outside their showroom where a few of their employees make guitars from scratch to finish. The factory is located in Abuno which has a neighborhood of other guitar factories. Alegre sells the finest guitars, thus becoming the most expensive compared to the rest. If you wish to buy cheaper ones, feel free to visit other factories like Susing.
- Operating Hours: Everyday, 7:30 a.m to 5:30 p.m.
- Location: Pajac Abuno, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
- To get there: From Mactan Shrine, walk to the nearest road and hail a multi-cab that has a “Maribago” sign on it. Fare is P8 and travel time is 20 minutes. Get off at Pajac (pronounced as Pahak) where tricycles (a motorcycle with a side car) for Abuno are lined up. Get one to take you to Alegre Guitar Factory. Travel time is 15 minutes and fare is P20. Please note that you will navigate through inner roads so it’s best to seek guide from the locals if unsure.
- Rating: 2.5/5
4th stop: 10,000 ROSES
- Description: A picturesque scene of roses amassed outside a café – 10, 000 roses which has become a staple attraction in Mactan draws thousands of visitors for its luminescent, LED-powered glow of light. Visitors flock to the place from late afternoon to sundown to witness a fine view of the sunset, and later on, the bright glow of the place.
- Note: Food in the café is a bit pricey. You may opt to eat at Lantaw restaurant located few steps outside the café for a more price-is-right, Filipino food experience.
- Operating Hours: Everyday, 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Entrance fee: P20
- Location: Day-as Barangay Rd, Cordova, Cebu
- To get there: From the main road, take a tricycle that goes to 10,000 roses. Or if the tricycle will not take you there directly, drop off at the highway and ride a trisikad (cycle rickshaw) that leads to the roses.
- Rating: 3/5
From here, you may go back to the airport, or if time allows, visit Olango Wildlife Sanctuary
OLANGO WILDLIFE SANCTUARY
- Description: Olango is a nearby island from Mactan. Its wildlife sanctuary makes for a refuge of the largest concentration of migratory birds found so far in the Philippines. There are 97 species of birds in the island, 48 are migratory species, while the rest are resident birds. Birds are present all year round, but the highest concentration is during the months of October, November, January and early February. The best time to visit is during high tide going to low tide as birds tend to gather by the viewing deck. The sanctuary also has an immense seagrass bed which supports life for marine creatures and naturally-grown mangroves. Photography enthusiasts may have to prepare a telephoto camera to fully capture the birds at a distance. For sunset seekers, the sanctuary offers a perfect view of the sun as it settles down. Note: The Olango wildlife sanctuary tour will take half day including going to the island and back to Mactan.
- Operating Hours: Everyday, 9:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m
- Entrance Fee: P20 for adults, P10 for children, P100 for foreigners
- Telephoto lense fee: P300
- Location: San Vicente, Olango, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
- To get there: Take a taxi or “Punta Engaño” jeep. Drop off at Hilton port located beside Movenpick resort (formerly Hilton hotel). At the port, take an outrigger boat bound to Santa Rosa which is about 15 minutes. Fare is P30. As you arrive at the pier, walk to the section where tricycle drivers line up. Take one. Round trip fare is P200. Negotiate with the driver to wait as public vehicles may not be available outside the sanctuary. The distance from Santa Rosa port to the sanctuary is around 5 kilometers. The road will be bumpy but manageable so prepare ahead.
- Note: Food will not be available at the sanctuary. Be sure to pack some snacks as you go.
- Rating: 3.5/5
GOING BACK TO MACTAN AIRPORT
To get back to Mactan Airport from 10,000 Roses, ride a trisikad (rickshaw) to the main road, then a multi-cab which goes to Mepz 1. Drop off at Marina mall. From the mall, take a taxi back to the airport. Fare is around P60.
CEBU LAYOVER DIY ITINERARY
|Transportation from Mactan Airport to Cebu Yacht Club||Php60.00|
|Transportation from Yacht to Mactan Shrine||Php10.00|
|Transportation from Shrine to Alegre Guitar||Php28.00|
|Transportation from Alegre Guitar to 10,000 Roses||Php100.00|
Like in any parts of the Philippines, the locals in Mactan, Cebu can speak and understand English. However, here are some good phrases that might prove useful when you find yourself endearing with them.
English to Cebuano (the prevalent language among the locals in Mactan, Cebu)
Thank you – Salamat
Good morning – Maayong buntag
Good afternoon – Maayong hapon
Good evening – Maayong gabii
How much is… – Pila ang…
Where is… – Asa ang…
TIPS FOR TRAVELERS
- This is a layover so be conservative with your plan. Don’t bite off more than what you can chew.
- If you charter a tricycle, agree with the price before taking the ride.
- Taxis are readily available in most of the areas. If time constraints, resort to taking one to save time, make sure it uses a meter.
- Be sure to be back at the airport two hours (if it’s domestic) or 3 hours (if it’s international) before your flight.
- If you want the best sunset view, go to these places during sundown: 10,000 roses, Cebu Yacht club and Olango Wildlife Sanctuary.
While this article is best suited for DIY budget travelers, we also share the same sentiments with those who love to go on a tour package. KLOOK offers the most affordable and hassle-free tour services for Cebu.
Here are some of its tour packages. Click each link for more details.
- 3 Day Cebu Highlights Tour for P5,130
- Cebu Rediscovery Tour for P1,300
- Sirao Flower Farm and Jumalon Butterfly Sanctuary Half Day Tour for P1,800
- Moalboal and Pescador Island Snorkeling Day Tour for P1,850
- Oslob Whale Shark Snorkeling and Badian Canyoneering Adventure for P2,850
- Badian Canyoneering Adventure and Kawasan Waterfalls Private Tour for P2,250
- Moalboal Island Hopping and Canyoneering Experience for P2,400
For other KLOOK services that are specific for Mactan, Cebu like transport and tour offers, use the search box below:
MORE OF CEBU
- Cebu Budget Travel Guide
- Backpacking Cebu for 15 days
- Bantayan Island Travel Guide
- Top 30 Tourist Spots in Cebu
- Top 7 Waterfalls in South Cebu
- A Mountain Peak Trilogy – Osmeña, Casino and Candongao peak of Dalaguete, Cebu
EXTEND YOUR TRIP
- Baguio Budget Travel Guide
- Balabac Budget Travel Guide
- Baler Budget Travel Guide
- Batanes Budget Travel Guide
- Cordillera Budget Travel Guide
- El Nido Budget Travel Guide
- Laoag Budget Travel Guide
- Manila Budget Travel Guide
- Pagudpud Budget Travel Guide
- Palaui Island Budget Travel Guide
- Pangasinan Budget Travel Guide
- Puerto Princesa Budget Travel Guide
- San Vicente Budget Travel Guide
- Sagada Budget Travel Guide
- Vigan Budget Travel Guide
- Zambales Budget Travel Guide
- Apo Island Budget Travel Guide
- Bacolod Budget Travel Guide
- Boracay Budget Travel Guide
- Dumaguete Budget Travel Guide
- Gigantes Islands Budget Travel Guide
- Iloilo Budget Travel Guide
- Negros Budget Travel Guide
- Sipalay Budget Travel Guide
- Siquijor Budget Travel Guide
- Bangkok, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Mai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Rai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Budget Travel Guide
- Johor Bahru, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Penang, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
- Siem Reap, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
- Singapore Budget Travel Guide
- Sukhothai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
Need a VISA to travel? Get assisted with your application online by a tested and reliable agency using the link below.
BE A RESPONSIBLE TRAVELER
And lastly, don’t forget to be awesome! 😉
DON’T STOP HERE
Read more posts by clicking any category below:
Did you find this article helpful? Show some love. Leave a comment or share to friends.
Get exclusive travel tips, giveaways and more for FREE via email!
Or FOLLOW my adventures on any of my social media platforms: