Welcome to the sunniest region in the Philippines, LAOAG or “lawag”, which means light in local dialect, has been known as the “Sunshine city” for its tropical savanna climate with warm to arid temperature year round.
Located at the northern part of Luzon in the Philippines and being the capital of Ilocos Norte, Laoag is yet another city with a strong presence of Spanish influence from its century old churches and ancestral houses down to its traditional lifestyle and solid awareness of its Ilocano heritage.
The city of Laoag uses different modes of transportation: tricycle or mini-van for short travel with P10 minimum fare while jeepney and bus for long distance. The best time to visit Laoag is during the months of March through May when the place remains warm with only a rare chance of rain, making it a perfect season to surf the vast sand dunes of La Paz.
HOW TO GET TO LAOAG
Laoag can be reached by land from different areas in Luzon and by air from selected domestic destinations in the Philippines.
As of late, only Philippine Airlines (PAL) and Cebu Pacific offer flights from Manila, Cebu and Davao to Laoag City.
- Via Manila – There are available buses from GV Florida, Partas , Baliwag or Fariñas Transit that travel to Laoag at their terminals in Cubao and Sampaloc. Travel is via North Luzon expressway which may take for about 8 hours. Bus fare ranges from P700 to P900.
- Via Clark – Take the shuttle service at the Clark Airport and drop off at Dau terminal where you can transfer to a bus bound for Laoag. Travel time is around 8 hours, bus fare is around P600.
- Via Baguio – Buses and vans that go to Laoag are available daily at Baguio City Bus terminal. Travel time is more or less 4 hours, fare is around P300.
- Via Tuguegarao – Buses from Florida Liner or GMW Liner offer daily trip to Laoag. Travel time is approximately 5 hours, bus fare is around P300.
TOP ATTRACTIONS IN LAOAG
Here are 5 top tourist spots that you can cover in a day tour or with an itinerary for 2 to 3 days while in Laoag.
THE SINKING BELL TOWER
LA PAZ SAND DUNES
MALACAÑANG OF THE NORTH
SANTA MONICA PARISH CHURCH
TOP THINGS TO DO IN LAOAG
Here are top things to do and activities that are worth a try around Laoag.
- Go local and indulge in the flavorful Ilocano cuisine.
- Go on a sandboarding adventure!
- Or thrill ride on a 4×4 jeep and explore the vast sand dunes of Ilocos Norte!
- Visit the old residence of the controversial Marcos family.
LAOAG SAMPLE ITINERARY
Itinerary for Laoag can be done by DIY, but more convenient if done on a tour package. Here is a sample itinerary for Laoag for 2 days with an estimated budget of P1,900.00+ per person for a party of two, excluding expenses for accommodation, souvenir and other incidentals.
|Arrive in Laoag||7:00AM|
|Sinking Bell Tower|
|St. William’s Cathedral|
|Tobaco Monopoly Monument|
|Museo Ilocos Norte||P50|
|Lunch at Saramsam Restaurant||1:00PM||P200|
|La Paz Sand Dunes||3:00PM||P1,250|
|Rest until sunset at the Sand dunes||6:00PM|
|Santa Monica Parish Church||9:00AM||P15|
|Malacañang of the North||11:00AM||P50|
|Back to the city proper||1:00PM||P15|
WHERE TO STAY IN LAOAG
Here are the best rated and most popular homestays, budget inns and luxurious hotels in Laoag.
- Ziur Inn Check rate and availability here
- Casa Felipa Hotel Check rate and availability here
- UKL Ever Hotel Check rate and availability here
- Texicano Hotel and Restaurant Check rate and availability here
- Bakasyunan Inn Laoag Check rate and availability here
- Hotel Asuncion Laoag Check rate and availability here
- Isabel Suites Check rate and availability here
Find the best hotel deals in Laoag and compare prices using the search boxes below:
English is widely understood in Laoag. But in case you want to speak the local tongue, here are phrases that proved to be useful.
English to Ilocano ( the most prevalent language among the locals in Laoag)
Thank You – Agyamanak
Good Morning – Naimbag a bigat
Good Afternoon – Naimbag a malem
Good Evening – Naimbag a rabii
How Much? – Sagmamano daytoy?
Where is… – Sadino ti…
BE A RESPONSIBLE TRAVELER
Lastly, have fun and don’t forget to be awesome! 🙂
EXTEND YOUR TRIP
Complete your trip to the north by visiting Pagudpud and Vigan. Check out the budget travel guides below:
Or, visit other top destinations in Luzon:
- Baler Budget Travel Guide
- Zambales: Anawangin, Nagsasa and Capones Budget Travel Guide
- Palaui Island Budget Travel Guide
- Baguio Budget Travel Guide
- Sagada Budget Travel Guide
- Cordillera Budget Travel Guide
Or, go to Visayas and visit these fascinating islands:
Or, go to the surfing capital of the Philippines – Siargao! Budget Travel Guide here.
Like what you read? Follow The Fun-Sized Traveller on Facebook for more travel inspiration. 🙂