Updated as of July 2019
Summary: This blog shares a budget travel guide for Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte with an estimated budget of P1,600+ per person that is good for 2 days, which covers expenses for entrance, food and transportation only. All needed details for each top attraction are laid out in the post including operating hours, entrance fee, location and information on how to get there. The Pagudpud blog is intended for DIY budget travelers, either solo or traveling in group.
PAGUDPUD AT A GLANCE
Dubbed as “Boracay of the North”, PAGUDPUD however, deserves more than a comparison to Boracay and a moniker appropriate for its own beauty. It’s a countryside endowed with picturesque rock formation, long strip of pristine white sand on its beachfront, and nature-based attractions without the horde of tourists that is typical in most of Philippine tourist spots. Simply, it’s the go-to place for a sweet relaxation.
Pagudpud is situated at the northernmost tip of mainland Luzon, and is about a 10-hour travel from Manila by bus. The place is sleepy and observes a slow pace of living. To get around, the main mode of transport is by tricycle, although some locals prefer to ride a bike. The best time to visit Pagudpud is during summer when its seas are calmer and the skies are bluer than usual.
A word of caution: The waves in Blue Lagoon can be crazily powerful during Amihan or northeast monsoon season, which may not be suitable for swimming. The better option during this period is to go to Saud beach where the waves are calmly unruffled.
HOW TO GET TO PAGUDPUD
Pagudpud can be reached by land from different areas in Luzon and by air through Laoag airport.
Getting to Pagudpud By Air
Only Philippine Airlines (PAL) and Cebu Pacific offer flights from Manila, Cebu and Davao to Laoag City. Once at Laoag airport, take a tricycle to its city proper where you can find a bus to Pagudpud. Travel time is close to 2 hours, bus fare is P75.
Getting to Pagudpud By Land
- Via Manila – Only GV Florida provides a direct trip from Manila to Pagudpud, with fare at P750 for regular bus. Travel time would take for about 10 hours. Alternatively, one may take a bus from GV Florida, Partas , Baliwag or Fariñas Transit bound for Laoag. Travel time is approximately 8 hours, bus fare is around P700. From Laoag, board on another bus or a van going or passing by Pagudpud. Travel time is 2 hours, bus fare is P75.
- Via Clark – Ride the shuttle service at the Clark Airport and drop off at Dau terminal. Take a bus bound for Laoag, then transfer to another bus to Pagudpud. Total travel time is around 8 hours, total bus fare is around P700.
- Via Tuguegarao – Take a bus from Florida Liner or GMW Liner that are bound for Laoag, Vigan or Abra. Tell the driver to drop off in Pagudpud. Travel time is approximately 5 hours, bus fare is around P250.
TOP ATTRACTIONS IN PAGUDPUD
Here are 9 top tourist spots by location that you can cover in a day tour or with an itinerary for 2 to 3 days while in Pagudpud.
NORTH OF PAGUDPUD (NORTHBOUND TOUR)
BANTAY ABOT CAVE
MAIRA-IRA COVE (OR BLUE LAGOON)
KAPURPURAWAN ROCK FORMATION
SOUTH OF PAGUDPUD (SOUTHBOUND TOUR)
BANGUI WIND FARM
CAPE BOJEADOR LIGHTHOUSE
TOP THINGS TO DO IN PAGUDPUD
Here are top things to do and activities that are worth a try around Pagudpud.
- Windsurf at Kingfisher resort, (if you have the stamina and power for it).
- Frolic at the beaches of Maira-ira and Saud with family and friends.
- Visit the windmills of Bangui and stay until sunset.
PAGUDPUD SAMPLE ITINERARY
The best way to get around the tourist attractions in Pagudpud is to go by a tricycle tour package which is more economical and time saving compared to going by public vehicles. The tricycle tour has two sets: the north and southbound tour, each cost for P600, good for 3 persons.
Here is a sample itinerary for Pagudpud for 2 days with an estimated budget of P1,600.00+ per person for a party of two, excluding expenses for accommodation, souvenir and other incidentals.
|Northbound Tour Part 1||9:00AM||P300|
|Bantay Abot Cave||–||–|
|Walang Hanggan Hill||–||–|
|Northbound Tour Part 2||1:00PM||–|
|Stay at Saud until sunset||6:00PM||–|
|Sunrise at Blue Lagoon||6:00AM||–|
|Kapurpurawan Rock formation||–||P50|
|Cape Bojeador Lighthouse||–||–|
|Bangui Wind Farm||–||–|
|Enjoy Blue Lagoon||–||–|
|Zipline at Hannah’s||–||–|
Pagudpud Tricycle Tour – Northbound
- Kabigan Falls
- Patapat Viaduct
- Agua Grande
- Paraiso ni Anton
- Timmangtang Rock
- Bantay Abot Cave
- Blue Lagoon
- Saud Beach
- Dos Hermanos Islands
Pagudpud Tricycle Tour – Southbound
- Bangui Windmills
- Bangui View Deck
- Cape Bojeador Lighthouse
Things to note:
- There is an additional courtesy fee of P100 for Kapurpurawan Rock Formation if you will include it on the southbound tour.
- The tricycle for northbound tour is prohibited to go around the tourists spots in southbound area, and vice versa. Guests will have to transfer to the designated tricycle if going on one tour to another.
Look for discounted deals from Klook from the major destinations in Asia, including the Philippines.
Here are tricycle drivers for northbound and southbound that offer tour service:
- Jose Moreno +63 915 370 3908
- Glenmark of Glenmark Homestay +63 909 6097586
- Kuya Arnel +63 926 588 0666
WILLY’S OFFROAD 4×4 JEEP also offers south and northbound tours for P2,500 good for 5 persons. Price is negotiable. Contact Kerwin at +63 908 100 9767.
WHERE TO STAY IN PAGUDPUD
Here is a mix of budget to average stays in Pagudpud near Blue Lagoon and Saud beach.
- Jun and Carol Beach Cottages Check rate and availability here
- Terra Rika Beach & Dive Resort Check rate and availability here
- Pagudpud Rinnovati Check rate and availability here
Other accommodations around Pagudpud which are also near the major attractions.
- Evangeline Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
- Buena Vista Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
- Beach Paradise Check rate and availability here
English is widely understood in Pagudpud. But in case you want to speak the local tongue, here are phrases that proved to be useful.
English to Ilocano ( the most prevalent language among the locals in Pagudpud)
Thank You – Agyamanak
Good Morning – Naimbag a bigat
Good Afternoon – Naimbag a malem
Good Evening – Naimbag a rabii
How Much? – Sagmamano daytoy?
Where is… – Sadino ti…
EXTEND YOUR TRIP
Complete your trip to the north by visiting Laoag and Vigan. Check out the budget travel guides below:
- Baguio Budget Travel Guide
- Balabac Budget Travel Guide
- Baler Budget Travel Guide
- Batanes Budget Travel Guide
- Cordillera Budget Travel Guide
- El Nido Budget Travel Guide
- Manila Budget Travel Guide
- Palaui Island Budget Travel Guide
- Pangasinan Budget Travel Guide
- Puerto Princesa Budget Travel Guide
- San Vicente Budget Travel Guide
- Sagada Budget Travel Guide
- Zambales Budget Travel Guide
- Apo Island Budget Travel Guide
- Bacolod Budget Travel Guide
- Boracay Budget Travel Guide
- Cebu Budget Travel Guide
- Dumaguete Budget Travel Guide
- Gigantes Islands Budget Travel Guide
- Iloilo Budget Travel Guide
- Negros Budget Travel Guide
- Sipalay Budget Travel Guide
- Siquijor Budget Travel Guide
- Bangkok, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Mai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Rai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Budget Travel Guide
- Johor Bahru, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Penang, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
- Siem Reap, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
- Singapore Budget Travel Guide
- Sukhothai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
Get assisted with your Visa application online for any of these countries using the “search box” below:
BE A RESPONSIBLE TRAVELER
And lastly, don’t forget to be awesome! 😉
DON’T STOP HERE
Read more posts by clicking any category below:
Did you find this article helpful? Show some love. Leave a comment or share to friends.
Get exclusive travel tips, giveaways and more for FREE via email!
Or FOLLOW my adventures in any of my social media platforms: