Summary: This blog details a budget travel guide for Palaui Island which includes a DIY itinerary good for 3 to 5 days, top tourist attractions, options on how to get there and a list of accommodations to stay. Further, this Palaui Island blog is intended for budget travelers either solo or traveling in group.
PALAUI ISLAND AT A GLANCE
PALAUI ISLAND, a National Marine reserve since 1994, is arguably one of the best island destinations in the Philippines whether for its arresting presentation of landscape, vast expanse of coastline or its wide range of flora and fauna. Such are the glorious features of this unspoilt speck of a wonder that broke into the headlines when it ranked #10 of CNN’s World’s 100 Best Beaches and when it was used as a filming location for “Survivor: Blood vs. Water and Survivor: Cagayan.”
Despite its growing popularity, the 10-kilometer island which is made up of 70% forest, remained an elusive treasure due to its natural setting. Palaui Island lies off northeastern tip of Luzon where waters can be rough in certain months caused by the battering winds of northeast monsoon and travel can be long which would require a 14-hour bus ride from Manila where most of the travelers would come from. However, it’s worth noting that Palaui is only a swimming distance once you get to its jump-off point in the mainland of Sta. Ana, Cagayan. So, if enduring a long bus ride comes off as an easy task to you, getting the best experience of Palaui is only a matter of knowing when the seas are at peace.
It is said that only the persevering of hearts bother to visit Palaui Island. If you’re up for a low-key type of relaxation, ready to trek through gentle thorny grasses, all prepared to camp out to a breathtaking vista, or always on the go to bum to secluded beaches – Palaui island is the right place for you.
QUICK FACTS AND TIPS ABOUT PALAUI ISLAND
Here are few facts and tips to consider when traveling to Palaui Island.
- Palaui Island is only a 10-minute boat ride from the mainland in Sta. Ana, Cagayan – a second class community at the northeastern tip of Luzon, 14 hours away from Manila by bus.
- Palaui is a rural area of a fishing community with most homes powered only by generators and solar panel. Electricity in the island is not available at night so if you are planning to stay over, make sure to bring a powerbank or fully charge your gadgets ahead.
- Despite Palaui only a sight away from Santa Ana, it is still advised to visit during the summer days of late March to May when seas are calm. Getting to the island would mean heading out to the open sea where waves can be wild and rough.
- Boat trips to the island are regulated by coast guard and tourism. Permission to sail may not be granted during a bad weather condition.
- Guests are required to register in Santa Ana tourism office before heading out to Palaui for safety purposes. The tourism office is located in San Vicente port where you can arrange a boat for an island hopping around and to Palaui.
- Palaui Island has poor mobile and internet connectivity. Only SMART mobile works but with 1 to 2 signal bars.
- ATMs are only available in Tuguegarao. Stack up some cash before you head out to Sta. Ana, Cagayan as everything goes on cash basis.
- Palaui is a marine reserve. Swimming would require a snorkeling gear.
HOW TO GET TO PALAUI ISLAND
Here are options in getting to Palaui Island both by air and land transfers:
- Direct trip by Bus from Manila (no option for plane) From Manila, only GV Florida bus in Sampaloc terminal goes directly to Sta. Ana, Cagayan Valley daily at 12:30PM and 3:00PM. Travel time is close to 14 hours, fare is around P700 to P1,000+ depending on the bus class. Contact them at their Facebook page: GV Florida Transport for inquiries.
- By Air + Land Transfer from Manila: The next option is to go to Tuguegarao by plane or bus. Once in Tuguegarao, head out to the terminal and ride a bus or a van (faster between the two, last trip is 5:30PM) to Santa Ana, Cagayan for P250. Travel time is mostly 3 hours. The bus or van stops at Santa Ana Commercial Center, take a tricycle to San Vicente Port for P15 per person, travel time is close to 20 minutes. At the port, register at the tourism office and arrange a tour. Note: Sign up with a guide to avoid getting lost. Palaui island will only be 20 minutes away from the port by boat.
- By plane to Tuguegarao: Fly to Tuguegarao from Manila via Philippine Airlines or Cebu Pacific. Travel time is close to 1 hour.
- By bus to Tuguegarao:
- GV Florida bus offers daily trips to Tuguegarao hourly from 12:00PM to 3:30PM and 7:00PM to 10:30PM in Sampaloc terminal, and hourly from 12:00PM to 10:30PM in Cubao terminal. Travel time is close to 10 hours, bus fare ranges from P700 to P1,000+ depending on the bus class, including sleeper buses.
- Victory Liner at Sampaloc, Caloocan City and Kamias bus terminals in Manila also offers a trip to Tuguegarao. Travel time is close to 10 hours, fare ranges from P600 to P1,000+ depending on the bus class including sleeper buses. Check out the Victory Liner Terminal Guide website or contact them at (02) 559-7735 , +63 998 591 5073 for the schedule and bus class. Note: It is highly advised to book a reservation before travel time to avoid hassle.
Via Ilocos and Abra
GMW Liner and Florida Liner have trips to Tuguegarao.
Dalin Liner with a bus Terminal near SM Baguio at Gov Pack Road has daily trips to Tuguegarao.
TOP ATTRACTIONS IN PALAUI ISLAND
Here are 8 top tourist destinations that you can cover in a day tour or with an itinerary for 2 days while in Palaui Island.
CAPE ENGAÑO LIGHTHOUSE
CALLAO CAVE (in Tuguegarao)
TOP THINGS TO DO IN PALAUI ISLAND
Here are top things to do and activities that are worth a try in Palaui Island.
- Take a photo at KM 642 upon arrival in Santa Ana, Cagayan. It is the farthest and last kilometer post in Northern Luzon.
- Hangout with the Aeta tribe at Punta Verde and appreciate their laid back and totally off-the-grid way of living.
- Go on a trek to Mt. Kabo of Cape Engaño and enjoy the beautiful scenery and historic lighthouse that await at its summit.
- Enjoy the island – swim, beach bum, snorkel, dive, camp out, fish. The memories are yours for the taking!
- Stay in the island overnight and know how it feels being out of touch from the virtual world. Go by the shore, listen to the sound of the crashing waves, watch the stars at night and be in one with nature.
PALAUI ISLAND SAMPLE ITINERARY
If you decide to go to Palaui, make it worthwhile. Go around for at least 3 days. The island can make you appreciate the simple things and gain back a fiber of your being that favors the basic. Take it from me. 😉
Anyhow, here is a sample DIY itinerary for 3 days which assumes a party of two and will set back a budget of P5,395.00+ per person, excluding expenses for accommodation, souvenir and other incidentals.
|Arrive in Tuguegarao||11:30AM||P700|
|To Sta. Ana, Cagayan by van||3:00PM||P250|
|To San Vicente Port by tricycle||3:30PM||P15|
|Register at the Tourism Office. |
Book a special trip: Punta Verde, Cape Engaño,
Crocodile Island, Anguib
|To Palaui Island (At Elsa Homestay)||5:00PM||–|
|Dinner (Ask Elsa to cook)||6:00PM||P250|
|Early morning at the shore||05:00AM||P150|
|To Balatubat Falls||07:30AM||P300|
|Back to the village||08:30AM||–|
|Boat to Cape Engaño||09:30AM||–|
|Hike to Cape Engaño Lighthouse||10:00AM||–|
|Enjoy Cape Engaño||11:00AM||–|
|Lunch on the boat docked at Siwangag cove||12:00PM||–|
|To Anguib Beach||1:00PM||P100|
|Swim, frolic at the beach||2:00PM||–|
|To Crocodile Island||3:00PM||–|
|Enjoy the island||4:00PM||–|
|Back to Punta Verde to Pack up||5:00PM||–|
|To San Vicente Port||6:00PM||–|
|Check in at Eden’s Lodge||6:00PM||–|
|To Tuguegarao by van||10:00AM||P250|
|To Callao Cave||11:00AM||P40|
|Back to Tuguegarao for lunch||12:00PM||P240|
Things to consider for this itinerary:
- Going around Palaui island is weather permitting. Be flexible. Rearrange the itinerary depending on the weather condition.
- You have to go back to Tuguegarao from Sta. Ana, Cagayan before you can head out to your next destination. Last trip of van going to Tuguegarao is 1:00PM.
- The vans going to Sta. Ana, Cagayan may go straight ahead to San Vicente Port. Politely ask the driver to save up your time and budget.
- At Cape Engano: Camping is not allowed. You can find a public toilet at the base, as well as few stores selling snacks and drinks though price is a bit high.
- Mosquitoes are rampant in the area. Bring a lotion or a repellent with you.
- The seas are rough. Make sure to waterproof your things.
- Upon arrival at San Vicente Port, head out to the tourism office and pay P50 for the environmental fee.
- All guide fees and boat rentals in Palaui follow a standard rate and are regulated by SAMOBA (Sta. Ana Motorize Boat Association Inc.). Seek advice from the association in case you feel being ripped off. Contact their chairperson at +63 966 379 1811, +63 916 277 6600.
Below is the standard price per attraction and special trip:
Per Special Trip
|Anguib Beach + Cape Engaño||P3,000.00|
|Punta Verde + Cape Engaño overnight||P2,800.00|
|Crocodile + Anguib Beach||P1,800.00|
|Siwangag + Anguib Beach||P3,000.00|
|Engaño Cape + Crocodile Island||P2,200.00|
|Punta Verde + Anguib Beach||P2,200.00|
|Punta Verde + Crocodile Island||P1,000.00|
|Punta Verde (Engaño Cape trekking)||P2,500.00|
|Special trip (Punta Verde + Cape Engaño + Crocodile Island +Anguib)||P3,500.00|
|Special Trip Overnight (Punta Verde + Cape Engaño + Crocodile Island +Anguib)||P3,800.00|
Here are some tour operators (boatmen) in Palaui. They take turn to ensure that all boatmen get a chance to handle guests. Contact them in case you have inquiries about Palaui.
- Edwin Tabucol +63 926 9064 657 or +63 916 1165 850
- Edgar +63 999 758 7079
Look for discounted deals from Klook from the major destinations in Asia, including the Philippines.
Sunset at San Vicente Port, where boats for the tour are docked.
WHERE TO STAY IN PALAUI ISLAND
The types of accommodation available in Palaui island are homestays and tents (for camping) at Punta Verde. If you want to stay overnight in Punta Verde, contact Elsa Homestay at +63 905 283 2559. The house has 2 rooms with enough facilities to cater to basic needs. Elsa can also cook for P250 per meal.
Alternatively, you can stay overnight in Sta. Ana, Cagayan. Here is a list of top-rated accommodations to choose from.
- Reggae Resort Check rate and availability here
- Jotay Resort Check rate and availability here
- Party Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
- Lugano Bed and Breakfast Check rate and availability here
- Nassim Hotel and Beach Resort Check rate and availability here
EXTEND YOUR TRIP
Other good places to visit in Luzon.
- Baguio Budget Travel Guide
- Cordillera Budget Travel Guide
- Laoag Budget Travel Guide
- Manila Budget Travel Guide
- Pagudpud Budget Travel Guide
Or visit other countries in Asia using these budget travel guides:
- Bangkok, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Chiang Mai, Thailand Budget Travel Guide
- Johor Bahru, Malaysia Budget Travel Guide
- Singapore Budget Travel Guide
- Siem Reap, Cambodia Budget Travel Guide
By using theFunsizedTraveller.net, you accept and agree on your first use of this site that the content may not be updated and must be verified from the concerned brand or organization which includes but not limited to tourism boards, airlines, and immigration departments.
TheFunsizedTraveller.net, its owner and affiliations can’t be held responsible for any untoward incident or damage in any form due to participation in this site.
If you do not agree to the terms, please leave this website, and do not access and/or use any of the posted information.
BE A RESPONSIBLE TRAVELER
And lastly, don’t forget to be awesome! 😉
Like what you read? Follow The Fun-Sized Traveller on Facebook for more travel inspiration. 🙂